Saturday, January 19, 2008

Saturday stories

It was a tv-free day for Reid (Hooray for us!) and so we had lots of reading time. We read:
  • The Night Before Valentine's Day by Natasha Wing and illustrated by Heidi Petach - one of a number of books she has written based on Clement Moore's classic but Reid enjoys the rhythm and is beginning to anticipate Valentine's Day.
  • If I Had a Big Blue Boat by Susan James Frye and illustrated by Laura Desantis - this is one of the books from Reid's Kindermusik session and so features great sounds woven into the story.
  • Tippity Tippity Too by Claire Clark and illustrated by Dudley Mosely - this is the other book for this Kindermusik session and has illustrations that are rich in detail and a strong rhyme.
  • Going on a Field Trip, a Read and Roll book - Reid could recite this book if she tried but she still chooses it to be read to her.
  • Biscuit Loves Father's Day by Alyssa Satin Capucilli and illustrated by Pat Schories - this book has a page-tall flap along each right page, which meant that Reid had to open each one while I was trying to read the words. She loves lift-the-flap books but I find them to be a bit frustrating.
  • Cat Christmas by B Kliban - the illustrations in this book draw Reid in and I like them, too, but I know enough of the carols that he spoofs to enjoy them just as much.
  • Carry Me! by Rosemary Wells - the little bunny in this story has many reasons to be carried, talked to and sung to.
  • A Dragon in a Wagon: A Book About Ways to Travel by Jane Belk Moncure and illustrated by Linda Hohag - I like the rhythm of story and the way that the little girl encounters new animals as well as new modes of transportation.
  • The Day Snuffy Had the Sniffles by Linda Lee Maifair and illustrated by Tom Brannon - Ken does a great impression of a congested Snuffle-upagus, I learned .
  • Love You Love Me - the lines, "Love me, love my bear; Love the oatmeal in my hair" alone make this book worth a read.
  • The Belly Button Book by Sandra Boynton - I'd told Reid we were done reading but she wanted to read this one to me. When she started, though, it turned out that she doesn't remember it well and I ended up doing the reading. I'm easily tricked, I guess.

No comments: